Saturday, February 23, 2008

Tun Mahathir: He has my blessing but i will not campaign for Mukhriz.


Kuala Lumpur 23 Feb 2008

Tun Dr Mahathir said that Mukhriz has his all the blessing from him but he will not campaign for Mukhriz in Jerlun. He said that it is up to Mukhriz to proof it and he believe that his son can carry the responsibilities given to him.
Tun Dr Mahathir also said that Mukhriz nomination has nothing to do with him. He did not lobby anyone to nominate Mukhriz.
Tun Dr Mahathir has never allowed any of his children to contest during his tenure.He is man of principle compare to current leaders.Many of the leaders today nominate their family members while still in power.

Mukriz Gets Blessings From Dr M But Must Win On His Own

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 23 (Bernama) -- Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said his son, Datuk Mukhriz has received his blessings to contest in the March 8 general election, but will have to win the Jerlun parliamentary seat on his own.
Advising his son to take the nomination seriously and work hard, the former prime minister said he would not help in campaigning for Mukhriz.
"No, I will not campaign. I give him my blessings, for all the good campaigns," he told reporters after opening a seminar on youth at International Islamic University of Malaysia here today.
Asked on why he would not be campaigning for his son, Dr Mahathir said: "That is my choice." On another question whether the family members would help in the campaign, he said: "I don't know. I have no say about that."
Dr Mahathir also said that Mukhriz's nomination was decided by the Umno leadership.
"Frankly, I did not lobby whatsoever."
On a question about his son's calibre, Dr Mahathir said it was up to the voters to decide.
"I don't know. It's up to the people who are going to vote to determine that. I can't just say my son is powerful, strong, brilliant and all that," he added.
On children of past leaders becoming candidates for the general election, he said such a scenario was not so healthy for the political culture of the country.
"When I resigned, the then-Umno secretary-general requested that my son, Mukhriz take my place in the Kubang Pasu parliamentary seat but I declined.
"I do not want the people to say that I am setting up a dynasty. We should not have a dynasty in our country's politics," added Dr Mahathir.
On the Barisan Nasional's (BN) candidates, he said it was good to see that old faces were dropped from the list and new faces given the opportunity.
"There are good and bad (old faces being dropped), it all depends. I am more concerned about the calibre.
"I cannot assess the list of candidates because I just heard about these names. I do not even know them," he said when asked about the calibre of the BN candidates.
-- BERNAMA

No comments: