Thursday, February 28, 2008

Grandma: I, too, have my supporters


KUALA TERENGGANU: Grandmother Maimun Yusuf, who is vying to be the Kuala Terengganu member of parliament, is worried she’s being stalked.
The 89-year-old kain songket trader said she was campaigning in Chabang Tiga yesterday when she noticed a car with a man and a woman following her.
“I had just received 1,000 copies of my poster from the printing company in the morning and was distributing them when I noticed a car following me around.
“There was a man and a woman inside. I did not recognise them,” said the grandmother of seven who is the oldest candidate in this general election.
“I do not know them but they left after I finished talking to the people.
“Luckily they meant no harm,” said Maimun when met at her dilapidated rented kampung house in Gong Gemia where she was busy pasting posters on the walls.
Although late in kicking off her campaign as she only received her posters yesterday, Maimun found she had to re-order another 4,000 copies.
Using her trusty red bicycle, her first stop was Chabang Tiga where she greeted the people and told them to vote for her symbol – the keys.
Pressmen were amused to see that Maimun, who is fondly known as Tok Mun, had rebuilt the steps leading up to her house.
“I know you were all scared to climb up the other day. That’s why I paid RM300 to build a new one,” she said, causing one reporter’s face to redden.
Maimun quashed the notion that she was able to pay for her campaign expenditure because of her links to royalty.
She has so far spent RM10,000 to register as a candidate, in addition to another RM3,000 on election and campaign preparations.
“I’ve also just enlisted some help to build a pondok (to be her election operations room) in Chabang Tiga. It only cost me RM200,” she added.
Asked how she expects to fare against PAS vice-president Mohamad Sabu and Barisan Nasional incumbent Datuk Razali Ismail, she said: “I have my supporters too”.

tunku : i don't know what "tok mun" is thinking but i must salute her for her courage and guts.she's spending her own money.i wonder why she did not think of it when she was younger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aduhai nek! Panggilan apa yang nenek sahut ni?