The Kedah government's main focus will be on attracting more than three million tourists a year to Langkawi, with a projected annual tourism-related gross income of RM3.8bil by 2015.
Mentri Besar Datuk Mukhriz Tun Mahathir
said that last year, revenue receipts from the approximately three
million recorded tourist arrivals in Langkawi amounted to about
"We have to push harder to realise our goal. It's not
easy to achieve the target for Langkawi because of the stiff competition
within the region from Bali and Phuket.
"In order to be two or
three steps ahead of them, we must act out of the box," he said on
Sunday after witnessing the signing of a memorandum of agreement between
the Langkawi Development Authority (Lada) and Pekan Artisan Sdn Bhd which will see two exclusive and innovative development projects in Langkawi.
The memorandum was signed by Lada chief executive officer Tan Sri Khalid Ramli and Pekan Artisan chief operating officer, Saifful Azhar Sabaruddin.
Pekan Artisan is a tourism resort and high-impact attraction developer.
another development, Mukhriz said the state government had officially
issued orders to temporarily stop two projects involving land clearing
activities implemented by the previous PAS-led state administration, in
Pedu and Gunung Inas, Baling.
He said the orders were issued
against an agro-tourism project near the Pedu dam as well as the Ladang
Rakyat rubber plantation initiative in Gunung Inas.
Mukhriz announced that the Kedah government would suspend all logging
activities in the state, pending a study on their impact on the
environment and the people's livelihood.
He said this followed
complaints from villagers that logging activities in their areas had
affected the supply and quality of water