Sunday, February 22, 2009

‘Serious’ may be what Umno needs

Umno’s thinking politician Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin spoke frankly to Sunday Star about how he decided to contest for the deputy president’s post only after getting the green light from incoming president Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
TAN SRI Muhyiddin Yassin takes his work seriously and it shows in his face and demeanour.
Some of his own party people find him less than friendly and even a little on the grumpy side. Upon hearing this, he broke into a broad smile. It transformed his face. In fact, he has one of those somewhat shy and rather boyish smiles.
He is neither unfriendly nor grumpy, but he is certainly not Mr Smiley and simply has no propensity for frivolous talk.
Muhyiddin, as his low-profile wife Puan Sri Noorainee Abdul Rahman put it, was “born a serious man”.
His serious nature cost him in the party polls of 2004 when he came in third among the party’s three vice-presidents because delegates had gone for likeability over ability.
But so much has changed in the last one year and quite suddenly, his serious ways have become an asset rather than a liability.
Umno and the coalition that it leads is going through troubled times and some in the party are worried whether Umno can survive beyond the next general election or go the way of political parties like the Kuomintang in Taiwan or the Congress Party of India.
Serious times call for serious leadership and Muhyiddin’s hour may just have arrived.
The International Trade and Industry Minister, 61, is one of three candidates for the Umno deputy president’s post alongside Malacca Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam, 59, and Rural Development Minister Tan Sri Muhammad Muhammad Taib, 63.
His opponents have been running a much more aggressive campaign than him.
But Muhyiddin’s message when he goes down to the ground is straight to the point. He talks about the rocky road that Umno is going through and he discusses what is needed to rebuild the party and to rebrand Barisan Nasional. Umno, as he readily admits, cannot survive alone.
In other words, he is telling them to give him a chance to help Umno regain its strength and standing. The thinking politician in him comes through very clearly in such encounters.
The last few weeks have been rife with talk of a consensus solution to the contest. It is true that senior leaders in the party are concerned the contest for the No. 2 post may cause a split but to date, talk of a consensus has remained just talk.
“I am prepared to talk and I will accept the outcome but sometimes it takes three to tango, the other two also have to agree,” said Muhyid­din.
He is in pole position in the contest but Mohd Ali is not far behind.
The Malacca politician is said to have the bac­king of none other than the Prime Minister, some­thing that his opponents cannot take lightly.
But Muhyiddin is said to be the preferred candidate of Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, who has won the presidency unopposed.
He was right there beside Najib when the latter announced his bid for the presidency in Kuala Terengganu and he has represented Najib at functions the Deputy Prime Minister was unable to attend.
But the most unique part of Muhyiddin’s situation is that he is the only one on whom Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has bestowed his blessing. Dr Mahathir’s endorsement cannot be underestimated because after what they have been through in the last few years, very few in Umno would dispute that he is the greatest leader their party has ever had.
He is also aware of claims that Najib needs a weak deputy who would not challenge him or make him feel insecure.
“These are tough times for Umno. Two strong heads are definitely better than one,” he said.
But Muhyiddin’s greatest impact in Umno is that he has been the chief catalyst to the speeded up transition of power in Umno. He spoke without fear or favour after the March debacle and as many in Umno pointed out, “he said what we wanted to but did not dare to”.
For that, he is hailed as a hero by those who are for the change but condemned by those who wanted Abdullah to stay on.
He is hoping that his admirers and supporters will outnumber his critics when Umno votes on March 26.

Q. You secured the most nominations for the deputy president’s post.

A. I had expected that because people came up to me to voice approval for what I said and told me they want to support me. They told me I said what they felt in their hearts. What I did was not off-tandem. Even non-Malays agreed with what I said.
My record shows I have spoken up over the years, even during the leadership crisis of 1988.

Q. The Prime Minister was upset with you?

A. I did not mean to hurt his feelings. It was important for the party and I said what I felt was right. Maybe Allah gave me the strength.
I’m sorry if I touched on the nerves of the leadership but somebody had to do it. I would not have done it if I did not feel it was necessary for Umno to survive. Nobody likes to be the Prophet of Doom.

Q. Have you made peace with the Prime Minister?

A. I offered my apology at one supreme council meeting. It was Ramadan, a time to seek forgiveness. I told the PM at the meeting that, if what I said hurt your feelings and caused disappointment, it was without ill intention. I did it out of sincerity. If you were offended I seek your forgiveness. I did what I thought was right. Then I explained why I did it.
That was around the time when some people were going for my head over what I said when I was in Singapore. The PM just listened and nodded.

Q. Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam seems to have the backing of the Prime Minister.

A. I haven’t heard the PM making any statements seen as favouring Ali. Maybe people are reading his body language and interpreting his words. But I wish he would be neutral in a race of this sort and stay above the fray.

Q. But the incoming president is seen as leaning towards you.

A. I would love to think he has sent out signals to that effect. It’s always the incoming president that people look to, he is the future leadership. It certainly has more pluses than minuses.

Q. It is said Datuk Seri Najib appreciates your role in the transition.

A. I have had private discussions with Najib about the political situation from the beginning.
We had common concerns about what happened in the general election and the future of Umno. That went on for a month. I was in Tokyo when I received an SMS from Najib telling me that the PM had announced his transition plan for 2010. I asked Najib: Is it acceptable? Is it too long? Can you recover in time for the next elections? At that point, it was he who asked me to defend my vice-president’s post and that he would defend his own post.
Not long after that, the PM said he would not defend his position in Umno. Najib then told me he was going for the presidency and I should try for the deputy president’s post.
I remember he informed me a day before Pak Lah made his announcement. Even when Zahid (Bagan Datoh MP Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi) suddenly said he was going for the No. 2 post, I asked Najib whether he had endorsed Zahid. Najib was just as surprised about Zahid and he called Zahid after that.
I wouldn’t offer myself for such a key post without seeking the views of the incoming president. By convention and tradition, the president always indicates who he feels most comfortable with as his deputy.
In this case, I would not have been so presumptuous as to go ahead without an indication. I sought Najib’s view when the transition was set for 2010 and again when it was brought forward to 2009. The first time he told me to stay put, the second time he asked me to go ahead.

Q. You also seem to have Tun Mahathir’s blessing?

A. I think Tun Mahathir sees me as a sort of voice of conscience.
He really loves Umno even though he is officially not a member. I feel proud in that sense. Some are critical of Tun and what he says but he talks a lot of sense even if he is sometimes overly critical. There is a lot of respect for him.

Q. What are the top concerns for Umno when the new team takes over?

A. One is to acknowledge that Umno is not as popular as in the past. We have to study the reasons why we lost the trust and support (of the people). It’s a question of survival and staying relevant.
Second is to strengthen the party, when we lost ground in March, some of us also lost our bearings because we did not foresee the tsunami and we are not used to rejection. We got too comfortable, took things for granted, became too self-serving. We have gone somewhat off track and we have to get our bearings again.
We are suffering from a perception problem that is compounded by the new media. There will have to be a major overhaul when Najib comes to power. There’s too much of what the party can do for you rather than what you can do for party. It’s going to be a difficult challenge with three million members and we have to start from the top.
Then there is the question of Umno vis-a-vis the other parties. The sands have shifted. How can we rebuild the strength of our component parties because we need each other to survive.
I am even thinking of a Barisan Nasional Baru. How can we present ourselves to Malaysians as a coalition that cares for all races and is for equality and justice? How can we rebrand the Barisan?

Q. Can Datuk Najib get the team he needs to revive Umno?

A. The Umno election will give him the political structure he needs as the president.
The Cabinet is the more important part. It will be key to his success as Prime Minister. It must comprise the capable and committed. It cannot be a carry-over from the past or a recycled team. He is very conscious of expectations of his premiership and the challenging time ahead.
I hope delegates think of that when they vote.

Q. You are such a serious man.

A. That’s the way I come across but don’t judge a book by its cover. When people start knowing me they know I can be friendly and attentive, maybe just a bit too serious.
But taking things seriously is my business. I have told people that I thought I laugh a lot but when I look in the mirror I can tell it’s not enough and that was when they start laughing.
When I go around I still shake people’s hands and look them in the eye. I guess, it’s in my genes, my father was a religious teacher and he did not take life lightly. God gave me this face and I don’t use botox, as you can see.(who is using botox out there??)

tunku : this is the best choice umno has for it's deputy president.if umno to revive then the delegate should vote for muhyiddin and not the other two.ali rustam is not deputy president or deputy prime minister type, as chief minister of a small state he is ok , to handle country.... beyond his capabilities.as for muhammad taib........God forbide, never such man be our deputy prime minister.he will surely make bn becomes opposition comes next GE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is the right man , muhyiddin.
ali n mat taib will destroy umno.