Thursday, May 24, 2007

Nalla to quit , betrayed by anwar



enough is enough


A bitter and disappointed S Nallakaruppan today confirmed that he would quit Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR ) this Friday, taking with him several veteran grassroots Indian leaders.
“Enough is enough!” the 61-year-old businessman told malaysiakini. “I have had enough of backstabbing.”
According to him, his “good friend” Anwar Ibrahim, who is PKR adviser, had “misled and backstabbed” him on two occasions after assuring that he would be given a prominent role in the party.
“The first time was when Anwar told me that I should contest in the Ijok by-election. But at the very last moment he asked me to give up the seat for Khalid Ibrahim.
“I was angry because until the last minute he maintained that he wanted me to contest but I (later) agreed with his decision (that Nallakarupan should not contest) and told him I would do all that I can to help Khalid win the seat,” he said.
In the April 28 by-election, Khalid lost to Barisan Nasional’s MIC candidate K Parthiban.
Nallakaruppan said the “latest backstabbing” revolved around his decision to contest for vice-presidency in the May 25 party polls.
The businessman, who was convinced by Anwar to join the party last August to boost support among the Indian community, said he was disappointed when Anwar called him last Friday and asked him to withdraw from the race.
“His reason was that there was a decided line-up for the three posts and he does not want me to upset that,” said the PKR Kepong division chief.
Nallakaruppan said he reluctantly agreed to Anwar’s request despite securing the second highest number of nominations for the post.
“I told him I was disappointed. In fact, before I was nominated for the post, I asked him if he was okay with me contesting and he said he was fine with it.
“Now he decides that I shouldn’t contest as I would disturb the pre-planned line-up. What democracy are they talking about in the party?” he asked.
Nallakaruppan said he expressed his disappointment to Anwar and told him that he felt 'betrayed' by a friend of 30 years.
“I was very cool about it. I told him that I felt he had backstabbed me but I did not slam the phone down on him,” he added.
He was referring to a report in the Star today which claimed that he had slammed the phone down on the former deputy prime minister after being told to withdraw from the contest.


i like backstabbing

Nallakarupan also revealed that he had rejected an offer by Anwar to appoint him as a vice president after the party polls this weekend.
“I am no longer sure he would stick to his words. Anyway, I don’t want an appointed post. Why stop me from contesting in the first place?” he asked.
Nallakaruppan, who used to play tennis with Anwar when he was still deputy premier, said he would call for a press conference on Friday to announce his decision to quit the party and the reasons for doing so.
“It is not a knee-jerk reaction from me. I would have happily concentrated on my business but was dragged into the party by Anwar. He then told me to play an active role to bring in the Indian members, which I did.
“But when I wanted to contest for one of the top posts, I am unwelcomed,” he said.
Asked on his next move, Nallakarupan said he would remain in politics but declined to elaborate.
“I shall remain in politics. I want to help the community and whatever I do, I will work towards that. Wait for Friday and I shall reveal all,” he said.
Even his confidants are in the dark as to Nallakaruppan’s next move. Some claimed that he has received offers from “some ruling and opposition parties.”
Several state-level PKR Indian leaders have also expressed their intention to leave the party with Nallakaruppan. Some of them, including strong grassroots leaders, have been with the party since its inception in 1999.
Another group of Indian leaders from held a press conference today to state their loyalty to the party and dismissed reports of a split among Indian members.

tunku : what you except from anwar,mr nalla? he always like to backstab as that his most desirous thing to do.i just wonder there are people who thinks anwar is great, he is great in manipulating people's mind,acting as pious man etc but not a good person.thank god he is no longer in malaysian cabinet, otherwise we would have suffer more under him than pak lah.those in pkr, leave the party as pkr is useless party that can never deliver.

No comments: