Friday, April 26, 2013

GE13: Pakatan leadership should step down to show commitment to change, says Dr M

Pakatan Rakyat should not shout slogans of change when its leaders are already at an advanced age, said former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
He urged Pakatan leaders including PAS spiritual advisor Datuk Nik Aziz Nik Mat, DAP chairman Karpal Singh and DAP advisor Lim Kit Siang to make way for younger leaders.
"Kit Siang and I got involved in politics in 1964. I have retired nine years ago while he is still contesting in this general election," Dr Mahathir said in a speech during the meet the people session in Guar Chempedak.
He also dismissed the allegation by Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak that he was trying to build a Mahathir dynasty with his son Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir running in the Ayer Hitam state seat.
"If I had wanted to build a dynasty, I would have fielded my children as candidates when I was the Prime Minister. "Instead, I didn't allow them to be involved in politics. Now that I have retired, I can't stop them if they want to join politics," he told reporters.
"It seems that leaders from the opposition are building a dynasty. Kit Siang chose his son Guan Eng to be the chief minister of Penang, Nik Aziz is also grooming his children to take his place," he added.

No comments: