Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Ahmad Bashah: I was not out to grab MB post

Newly-appointed mentri besar, Datuk Seri Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah, will tender his resignation as senator and deputy minister.

"I'm thankful to the Sultan and the Regency Council for consenting to my appointment as Mentri Besar.

"l also wish to thank Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak for recommending my name to the Sultan," Ahmad Bashah told a press conference hours after State Secretary Datuk Bakar Din announced that he would take over the state's top job from Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir.

Present were state exco member Datuk Tajuddin Abdullah and other Umno leaders.

Ahmad Bashah declined to comment on a reshuffle of the state executive council.

"Please wait as I have not been sworn in yet, " he said.

Earlier, Bakar said Ahmad Bashah, who is Bakar Batu assemblyman, would be sworn in at Istana Anak Bukit on Thursday.

Ahmad Bashah said he was "not eager" on "grabbing" the post of mentri besar.

"But Umno leaders and assemblymen want a change in the state leadership," he said.

He said Mukhriz was a good man whom he had worked with for many years.

"I hope Mukhriz and his supporters will extend their cooperation to me for the sake of the party and Kedah," he said.

Ahmad Bashah said he would talk about his future plans after the swearing in ceremony.

To a question that Mukhriz had cheekily said that he hoped Ahmad Bashah would not fall asleep during the swearing-in ceremony, Ahmad Bashah said: "Never mind, lah. I have nothing to comment."

No comments: