Friday, April 13, 2007

Something Fishy in Sabah


Sabah's Deputy Chief Minister Chong resigns
KOTA KINABALU: Sabah Deputy Chief Minister and state Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Tan Sri Chong Kah Kiat resigned from the cabinet of Chief Minister Datuk Musa Aman on Friday.
At a news conference at 10.50am at his Wisma Tun Fuad office, Chong, the Liberal Democratic Party state assemblyman for Tanjung Kapor, declined to spell out reasons for his decision except to say it was a question of principle.
Chong, 60, who has been state minister for the past year and who has also served a two-year term as Chief Minister from March 2001 to March 2003, however, indicated that he would be more specific at another date if challenged.
He said he met the Yang Di Pertua Negri Tun Ahmadshah Abdullah Friday morning and tendered his resignation.
The former LDP president, who gave way to fellow lawyer V.K. Liew last year, said he had yet to meet Musa over his decision to quit.
Musa was unavailable for comment as he is away in Europe.
Chong, a staunch Barisan Nasional man since forming LDP in 1990, said he decided to announce his decision Friday as he did not want to disrupt the Machap by-election, which was held on Thursday.
Pressed by reporters if differences with Musa were among the reasons, Chong would only say that he wanted to stick to his official statement.
Statement: "This morning, I have sent my resignation letter to the Yang DiPertua Negri. Many of you know I have been in BN for the last 30 years and I have never switched parties. Today I have made this decision and I will say no more today. I am giving you my signed statement and I wish you all the best. Keep in touch if you can please. I thank you very much for coming."
Question: Tan Sri, why are you suddenly resigning from the state cabinet?
Answer: It's not sudden. I'm a nobody. I'm not important. I'm nothing.
Q: Has your resignation anything to do with differences with the Chief Minister?
A: I will only be giving my statement today. My statement which I have prepared today is enough for now.
Q: Your resignation comes amid talks that elections could be called soon. Don't you think this will affect Barisan Nasional?
A: I don't think so. In fact out of respect for Barisan, I deferred my resignation until today because of the Machap by-election. I was in fact planning to submit it earlier, but because of the by-election, I thought that it's better that I do it after that.
Q: Have you spoken to the Chief Minister about your resignation?
A: I have conveyed it already. As you know the Chief Minister is away.
Q: How about the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister?
A: I dont think it's important. I am just a small fry ... a little state leader.
Q: How long have you been thinking about resigning?
A: I've been saying to the world that I'm trying to make a graceful, proud exit for the last two, three years. I have been trying to leave gracefully and leave with pride. Well I have made made my decision today. I've submitted to the TYT. I had had a very good audience with him.
Q: Are you leaving with pride?
A: I don't know.
Q: What did the TYT have to say?
A: We had a long talk. It was very personal.
Q: Will you remain as state assemblyman?
A: I am still assemblyman for Tanjong Kapor.
Q: You said you are no longer important, do you have differences with the government?
A: No comment.
Q: How would you describe your relationship with other members of the state cabinet?
A: I will have my say when the time comes, if need be. Otherwise I will try to refrain. I am a very patient man. I am known to be a very patient man and whenever I can refrain I will refrain unless I am forced to. But I will stand by what I have been doing in all my political life. I will stand by my principles.
Q: Will you be explaining the reasons for your resignation to Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) members?
A: I have met all the leaders, I am sure they understand.
Q: How about explaining to the Chinese community?
A: I don't think I am that important to have to explain a decision which is very personal to me.
Q: By announcing your resignation, does this mean your patience has been pushed to the limit?
A: No comment.
Q: When was the last time you met the Chief Minister?
A: At the Cabinet meeting (Wednesday, April 11).
Q: With your resignation, LDP won't have any representatives in the state cabinet.
A: We've experienced that before, this is nothing new to LDP. We were once represented and then not represented subsequently in the mid-1990s. We had one minister and we didn't have any in 1995. I believe our party is a very small party, not important. We are used to this. If we are not represented (in the cabinet) it doesn't matter. We will have our principles intact.
Q: What was the last thing that prompted you to resign?
A: Principles.
Q: Any other particular thing?
A: Principles. Principles. Principles.
Q: What do you plan to do after the resignation takes effect on Monday?
A: I'll be unemployed. Life goes on. I've had worst moments in my 30-year (political career)

tunku : hope the Sabah BN could clear all the allegations against them especially the CM before the next GE or we will see more opposition in Sabah's lineup for the next term.

No comments: