Thursday, June 23, 2016

Abu Kassim: I was not pressured to step down

Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohammad says he was not pressured to step down as Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner, and the decision to do so was his own.

Abu Kassim said he chose to shorten his tenure as MACC chief two years ahead of time because he was offered to serve as a visiting expert at the International Anti-Corruption Academy (IACA).

"I said before that I would not step down due to pressure. This decision was my own to make.

"I have an opportunity to represent the country at an international level by serving at the IACA. It is a golden opportunity I could not ignore," said Abu Kassim at a press conference at the MACC headquarters here Thursday.

Abu Kassim's contract as chief commissioner was supposed to end on Dec 4, 2018, but the date was brought forward to Aug 1 this year.

When asked who would be his successor, he replied that the successor would be appointed by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, upon the advice of the Prime Minister, as per the MACC Act.

He said deputy chief commissioner (operations) Datuk Seri Mohd Shukri Abdull would be retiring in October.

"There have been many cases throughout my six years as chief commissioner. I am satisfied with how all of it has been handled.

"We have brought many changes to the MACC, and over the years we have received a lot of international acclaim for the way we do things here," he said.

No comments: