Monday, May 26, 2014

Teluk Intan by-election: I'm still the underdog, says Mah

After a week of campaigning in the Teluk Intan parliamentary by-election, Barisan Nasional's Datuk Mah Siew Keong feels he's still the underdog but stresses that he is the better choice.

The Gerakan president said there would be many sympathy votes for his opponent, DAP's Dyana Sofya Mohd Daud, due to the death of the constituency's incumbent MP Seah Leong Peng.

Mah added that Seah was a local boy who was hardworking and his death would result in many casting their votes for DAP.

"Just like the Bukit Gelugor by-election, (where) there were many sympathy votes.

"I don't know how it will reflect in Teluk Intan," he told journalists after unveiling his by-election manifesto on Monday.

"However, I feel that I have the dedication to do more for Teluk Intan," he added.

The by-election, triggered by Seah's death earlier this month due to cancer, will be held on May 31.
Mah said there was also a campaign going on to discredit him.

"There have been a lot of whispering, SMS-es and Facebook campaigning and dirty politics that are not true (against me).

"There are also many heavyweights having ceramah every night," he said, adding however that he hoped to achieve 51% support before polling day.

"I lost by about 7,600 votes in the last general election. It is not easy to overturn the majority," he added.
On the promises made to the people by several Barisan Nasional leaders to entice them to vote for him, Mah said it was no different from Pakatan Rakyat's call to lower the petrol if it had won the last general election.
"I still believe that we have to work hard to achieve some of the promises made to the people.

"There are 222 parliamentary constituencies and every one (of the MPs) needs to work hard to get things down in their areas," he said.

Mah stressed that he was still the best candidate, being the local boy who knew what was needed for the constituency.

"I believe I can play that role. We at Teluk Intan are a big family. I've fought for Teluk Intan for many years and I will continue to do so," he said.

"If I'm voted, I promise I will work hard to bring in more infra-structural development and welfare to the people," he added.

No comments: