Monday, October 20, 2008

Najib unveils manifesto for top Umno job

Deputy Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak wasted no time unveiling his manifesto for the Umno presidency, denouncing recent allegations made against him and vowing to defend the supremacy of the Malay race till the last drop of his blood.
"I will defend the supremacy of the Malays until the last drop of my blood if I win the mandate of the delegates to become the next Umno president at election to be held in March 2009. This is the solemn promise I made to my late father before he died,” Najib said.
He also promised to set up a Council of Presidential Advisors to be made up of Umno elders and past prime ministers, giving basis to speculation that former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad was poised to make a comeback.
“I will also ensure that my family won’t become involved in business or interfere in the administration of the country. I will carry out my responsibilities without any influence from other countries,” Najib added.
His father's son
Just hours ago, the 55-year qualified for election as the next Umno No 1, after winning nominations from all 59 division that have met so far.
He is expected to take unchallenged the post due to be vacated by Prime Mninister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi next March. Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah, his only contender, has yet to receive a single vote.
A UK-trained economist, Najib began his political career at age 22 after his father died. Abdul Razak had been the country’s second premier and was revered by many in Umno for introducing the New Economic Policy - a socio-economic restructuring plan that benefited the Malays at the expense of the other races.
Although Najib acknowledged that the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition did poorly in the March 2008 general election, he was also quick to warn he would use all means to destroy elements that threatened the country’s stability and peace.
“We realise that BN was scarred during the March general election. I will do all I can to return Umno and the Barisan Nasional to its former glory. I will also not hesitate to use all means to destroy elements that can threaten the stability and peace of the country.”
The Pakatan Rakyat led by Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim swept to power in five out of the country’s 13 state after the national polls.
Denies alliegations
Najib also denounced the recent spate of allegations made against him
"I have been attacked by my enemies who claimed that I carry out Hindu rituals. All of you can refer to S Samy Vellu who will vouch that I have never gone with him to any Hindu ceremony. I swear in the name of God that I am a faithful Muslim.”
“I have also been linked with the murder case of Altantuya. I once again swear in the name of God that I never knew her. I am ready to face any court to clear my name which those who are envious of my achievements are trying their best to tarnish. I deny that my SMS communication with Muhammad Shafee Abdullah was in any way an abuse of power.
“I strongly deny allegations that I am involved in the Eurocopter scandal. The contract went through due process and procedures. The Defence Ministry accepted the decision and agreement from the Ministry of Finance was obtained in the selection of the Eurocopter tender. The Defence Ministry issued a Letter of Intent on Sept 15, 2008. A Letter of Intent can be issued at anytime and in accordance with proper procedure, it was issued on Sept 15 2008. I state my readiness to be investigated by PAC or BPR!,” Najib said.
The father of five was hit by a double-whammy of scandals last week.
Allegations that Najib had an affair with Mongolian woman murdered here in 2006 resurfaced after a website posted a series of SMS messages purportedly sent by him to a lawyer involved in the case.
He also came under scrutiny for a questionable RM2.3 billion ringgit helicopter deal.
A whistleblower claimed that the defence ministry - which was under Najib at that time - agreed to buy 12 units of Cougar EC-725 choppers even though there was a cheaper alternative. Canadian-based Kelowna Flightcraft. Kelowna had offered to supply the same number of helicopters of similar specifications for only RM898 million.
The uproar that ensued pressured Abdullah, who took over the defence ministry last month, into promising to look into the matter. Najib has said he will give the Dewan Rakyat a detailed explanation soon.
“I have full confidence that delegates will use their wisdom in making their choice of leadership next March. They should be intelligent enough to gauge who among their leaders truly represent the interest of the Malay community and who has in the past betrayed the Umno’s struggle by becoming an agent of a foreign country,” he said, in clear reference to his arch rival Anwar.

tunku : the opposition especially anwar knows that najib is smarter and is very well thought about politics than pak lah.to them the longer pak lah stays the better for them.so they are trying hard to demonize najib.anwar is trying that since day one he got out of jail.he knows that only najib can stop him.he used rpk to attack najib.i just can't believe that some people can really belief najib does the hindu rituals.first tian chua came out with the superimpose photo of najib ,razak baginda and altantuya, then malaysia today came out with the hindu rituals.for god sake, don't be as low as anwar ibrahim and rpk.they are the worst pariahs on earth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you when you say Anawr and RPK are the worst pariah on earth.
they tend to use any 'resources' that they have to win. Truth or lie, belakang cerita.
Sad what some people are willing to do, just be in power.

Anonymous said...

the picture of Najib practising "hindu custom" is the most absurd of all.the one who published the picture must be one hell of an expert in photo editing.

but for the first time in Malaysia's politics a future PM had to handled many controversies and scandals related to him.