Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tony Pua willing to forgo 1MDB debate, says PAC probe more important

Tony Pua is willing to forgo a proposed live debate with 1Malaysia Development Board (1MDB) cheif Arul Kanda Kandasamy, saying the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) probe is more important.

At a press conference in Parliament Tuesday, the Petaling Jaya Utara MP said he would seek clarification from Tan Sri Pandikar Amin Mulia Wednesday on the conditions set by the Dewan Rakyat Speaker if the debate was to go on.

"I cannot let the debate jeopardise PAC investigations into the matter.

"As a PAC member and a responsible MP, I cannot let Arul be barred from being called as a witness, so if the ruling stands, I have to abide by it," he said on Tuesday.

Pandikar had said the debate could only proceed if both individuals excused themselves from the ongoing PAC investigations into 1MDB.

Pua also rubbished the possibility of the ruling being set for fear that he would use information gained from his position in the PAC during the proposed live debate.

"If I do that, only then will it be a breach of the position.

"I use information that is already publicly available. If I can ask questions in a statement, why can't I do it face to face?" he said, in reference to the 10 questions he had posed to Arul Kanda earlier Tuesday.

No comments: