Iskandar and PKR deputy president Azmin Ali have found themselves as frontrunners for the post after the palace made an announcement on Thursday that the new Selangor Mentri Besar would be sworn in on Tuesday.
Iskandar has played down those suggestions, and told The Star Online that his “appointment” was still speculation at this point.
“I have not received the invite yet, and am not even sure if it’s authentic. I have checked with my office, and they have not received anything from the palace either,” he said when contacted.
“I am currently at the (PAS) muktamar and we are discussing this issue. I will follow what the party leadership says as they have yet to reach a final decision,” the Selangor PAS commissioner said, adding that it had been previously agreed that PAS would not claim the post as it was PKR’s.
However, two conflicting stands have emerged from the party’s central leadership, with deputy president Mohamad Sabu saying PAS would reject the post, while secretary-general Datuk Mustafa Ali has said the party would have to accept what the Sultan decides.
“The central leadership also previously stated that they would leave it to the wisdom of the Sultan in deciding the best candidate. So let’s wait and see what the Sultan decides,” Iskandar said when asked to comment on the possibility of Azmin being chosen ahead of PKR president Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail.