Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, through his private secretary Datuk Munir Bani, said the norm was for the Prime Minister to submit several names before a candidate deemed suitable for the role was appointed.
“In 2008, when the state government fell to the Opposition, the palace wrote to leaders of all the parties to nominate two names for the Selangor Mentri Besar post.
“When all three parties unanimously nominated Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim, who also fit the criteria as stated under the Selangor constitution, the Sultan agreed to appoint him,” Munir said in a statement issued Thursday
He said this was because PKR president Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail had, during an election campaign, said Khalid might not be reappointed as Mentri Besar.
“Although the palace did receive other nominees for the position, the three party leaders also nominated Khalid to administrate the government for a second time and given that he had good ties with palace officials, the Sultan decided to appoint him again,” the statement said.
According to Munir, even though it was not the policy of the palace to release such information, the situation was such that a clarification was needed to ease the confusion that had surfaced.
He also urged Anwar to get his facts right before issuing any statement on the matter.
“He (Anwar) is advised not to issue statements that could confuse the people or make the Selangor Sultan look bad,” he said.
Anwar had said that the practice of submitting only one name as the Mentri Besar candidate had been followed since the country achieved independence in 1957.