Thursday, October 16, 2014

Hisham: I will not protect my brother if he is in the wrong

Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein has denied any involvement in the awarding of a liquor-labelling contract to his younger brother, Datuk Haris Onn.

"I don't know what my brother gets up to. I do not have any knowledge or involvement in what he does.

"If there is some discrepancy, then he should be answerable," answered Hishammuddin when queried on the issue by reporters at a press conference at the Parliament lobby on Thursday.

"As far as I know, he has not benefited from my present ministry or any previous ministry which I have held in the past.

"I will leave (the issue) to the authorities. He will not have personal protection from me if he is in the wrong," added Hishammuddin.

He stressed that he had a principle against awarding any contracts to family members, as it would be a conflict of interests.

On Wednesday, Petaling Jaya Utara MP Tony Pua questioning the award of the RM77mil concessions contract from the Royal Malaysian Customs Department to Haris' company, Lembah Sari Sdn Bhd.

The contract to print security labels for liquor products was awarded via direct negotiation, said Pua.

Lembah Sari Sdn Bhd is also employed by the Royal Malaysian Customs Department to print security labels for cigarettes.

No comments: